8 replies to this topic

#1 Cheryl Allen

Cheryl Allen

Super Grey

• Members
  • 20 posts

• Subspecies:Congo

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:50 PM

We added a new addition to my room, which now consist of me, my TV, Compter, Closet, 1 -38 Gallon Danio-glofish aquarium, 1-15 gallon Tetra Aquarium, 1-14 gallon live bearing fish aquarium, and 3 -3 gallon Beta aquariums 2 beta splenda's and 1 royal crown beta who are all breath taking. Two Yorkshire Terriers, Sassy who will be 2 in April and Bear who just turned 1 despite the fact bear acts 6 years older then Sassy. Sassy weighs, 16.8 lbs and bear bearly weighs 5. Then there is Going in order of age-youngest to oldest- my Greater Patagonian Conure Olive under a year-still waiting on her paper work. Popeye who will turn four September 3rd, who is my African grey and my latest addition and one I have been waiting to add since I knew I was getting Olive-Maggie who will be 13 in August on the 15 which is my dad's Birthday.

Maggie had taken quite a shine to me and now all of a sudden Popeye can't stand to have me out of his sight. So I have been sitting in my lazy boy chair which is between Popeye, Olive to the sides and in front of me and Popeye is Maggie. If Maggie starts to ask for any thing from me, Popeye wants the same. He hasn't become aggressive at all unless my husband is in the room. Which is his normal behavior as he hates men.

What do I do to make sure Popeye does't feel left out?

The attachment is of Maggie. Please don't yell at me for her feather condition or her over all lack of luster. As soon as I got her home I started working toward a better diet. If you all knew her diet you would DIE. I Almost Crapped my pants because I couldn't believe anyone would do this to their bird. It's worse then you can imagine so don't even try.

Harrisons has agreed to work with me and give me tips as I use some of their products, and I think it is the best way to go if I can get her to at the very least try them. She doesn't like a shower and I need to use the product they call rain on her and I fear trying that. Anyway between the diet change and the working on the feathers as they are now and trying to help heal them or at the least protect them from further damage. It's tough. If anyone has any other tips that might help her I am up for them?

I know that having all these aquariums is very good for her feathers as with out her even knowing it, it is putting moisture into her feathers, just like it helps my lungs and helps me not have to use my nebulizer as often.

Attached Files

Posted Image

visit me at www.emogurl.net because Pets are emo too

Posted Image

#2 tommybar

tommybar

tommybar

• Adv Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

Jealousy is a big problem in my household one is always jealous of the other. Sorry to hear about Maggies problems but it sounds like she is good hands now. I don't know but this may work it seemed to on my rescued B and G macaw, UV lighting, you may wanna try that.
There is a new post in health on that by Pip.

As for making sure Popeye isn't left out, its just about split time I have to do this with my greys and Katka. Katka screams when she sees me I ignore this but when she is quiet I go to her and give her striches. When she is out the greys are always at the bars for striches so they get them, its give and take and finding a balance.. It will come just be consistent.....

Hope this helps :)

Tommy.

CAGs, Oscar(m), Rosaka(f), Betty(f), Freddy(f) (as in pic)

,Jakub(m) and Harry (m)

B and G Macaw, Katka. Passed away 9/12/09 RIP my baby.

B and G Macaw Victor/Victoria

Masked Lovebirds, TT, Flo, George, Grace and Max and many more
The dogs, Mabel, Lily, Phil and Elsa.

David, Passed away on the 25th Oct 2010 RIP my old boy

The Gottingen pig, Petunia
The cat, Ivy.
The snake, John

my pictures HERE

#3 dusty1709

dusty1709

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

I introduced Dusty to my home four months ago and Gizmo my OWA was ok to start with but now jealousy is an issue,
I make sure i do the same with both and give them equal amounts of time etc
If i go out the room both look for me, if both birds are in separate rooms there is noise LOL
Im experimenting at present and sussing out what both want !!!

#4 Mama2ManyMouths

Mama2ManyMouths

A REGULAR KNOW-IT-SOME &:-)

• Assistant Admin
  • 16,392 posts

• Subspecies:Timneh
Contributor

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:20 PM

I believe that "jealousy" is a term that can apply to parrots, although this is just my opinion. Their behaviour when they are seeking attention is very similar to small children that are considered "jealous." Trying to keep attention equal amongst a flock can be tricky and difficult to accomplish, as some birds need more attention than others to be "happy." All we can do is our best to let all our birds know that we love them equally, and we will endeavour to spread our attention around as fairly as we can.

Posted Image

Miu (rehab'd & rehomed CAG), Kumiko (TAG), Skyler & Sunny - our devil-may-care parrotlets

"Be warned -- being owned by a parrot is not for the faint of heart." -- Dr. Joanna Burger, Ornithologist

#5 Titch

Titch

Tiddley Pop De Doo

• Adv Member
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

Jealousy is a big problem in my household one is always jealous of the other. Sorry to hear about Maggies problems but it sounds like she is good hands now. I don't know but this may work it seemed to on my rescued B and G macaw, UV lighting, you may wanna try that.
There is a new post in health on that by Pip.

As for making sure Popeye isn't left out, its just about split time I have to do this with my greys and Katka. Katka screams when she sees me I ignore this but when she is quiet I go to her and give her striches. When she is out the greys are always at the bars for striches so they get them, its give and take and finding a balance.. It will come just be consistent.....

Hope this helps :)

Do the greys and the macaw not get along?

I may not have the key to success, but I know how to pick the lock on the door.

#6 OwnedByAGrey

OwnedByAGrey

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

You know, I was having trouble with Charlie this evening when I tried to give him his cuddle time, and I just realized something.

Charlie goes with me everywhere unless he's busy playing, eating, or sleeping. I'll carry him to a room if I'm going to be there for a bit and sit him on one of the swings. The same is true for Poe and Gertie. Tonight, he was in the living room with me, sitting and playing on his swing, completely content, and I was cuddling up the conures.

Well, talk about being nippy! Charlie was NOT going to come to me, no way, no how! He'd bend his head for scritches, but seeing me cuddling the Rowdy Gang was too much for young Grey Charles. He's never done this before, so it was baffling until I sat and thought about it for a bit.

I think I'll have to cuddle the conures on the sly from now on. :wink:
CHEAT SHEET!

Charlie - Male CAG, DOH 2/14/08
Moses - Male CAG, YOH 1999
Poe - Female Umbrella Cockatoo, DOH 6/25/2006
Gertie - Female Spectacled Amazon (White-Fronted Amazon)
Pickle - Male Half-Moon Conure
Lily - Female Peach-Faced Lovebird
Chumley (aka "MURP!") - Male Senegal

#7 tommybar

tommybar

tommybar

• Adv Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:05 AM

Do the greys and the macaw not get along?

No not at all. The greys would be fine its Katka I don't trust. You never know one day I hope but Katka still has to many issues. When the greys are out Oscar and Rosaka know not to fly on her cage, but Betty I tell you I must shoo her off 20 times a day. There is something over the top of Katka's cage because she really would have thier feet off...
I really think my Batty is a few feathers short of a quilt :)

You know, I was having trouble with Charlie this evening when I tried to give him his cuddle time, and I just realized something.

Charlie goes with me everywhere unless he's busy playing, eating, or sleeping. I'll carry him to a room if I'm going to be there for a bit and sit him on one of the swings. The same is true for Poe and Gertie. Tonight, he was in the living room with me, sitting and playing on his swing, completely content, and I was cuddling up the conures.

Well, talk about being nippy! Charlie was NOT going to come to me, no way, no how! He'd bend his head for scritches, but seeing me cuddling the Rowdy Gang was too much for young Grey Charles. He's never done this before, so it was baffling until I sat and thought about it for a bit.

I think I'll have to cuddle the conures on the sly from now on. :wink:

I know this with Betty OBAG :) she really has to be the center of the univerise :) Well of our house anyway. She get jealous of the dogs if I am stroking the one of the dogs she lands on me and then trys to bite them :) Katka is the worse she just sreams when she sees one of the greys on me...

Tommy.

,Jakub(m) and Harry (m)

The cat, Ivy.
The snake, John

my pictures HERE

#8 OwnedByAGrey

OwnedByAGrey

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:51 AM

LOL! Maybe Katka is trying to warn you about those Greys! Perhaps she has heard them plotting to take over the world. I know the Conures are always planning ways to gain full global domination. Could you imagine being ruled by a flock of birds that have to drown everything before they eat it? :D
CHEAT SHEET!

Charlie - Male CAG, DOH 2/14/08
Moses - Male CAG, YOH 1999
Poe - Female Umbrella Cockatoo, DOH 6/25/2006
Gertie - Female Spectacled Amazon (White-Fronted Amazon)
Pickle - Male Half-Moon Conure
Lily - Female Peach-Faced Lovebird
Chumley (aka "MURP!") - Male Senegal

#9 tommybar

tommybar

tommybar

• Adv Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

LOL! Maybe Katka is trying to warn you about those Greys! Perhaps she has heard them plotting to take over the world. I know the Conures are always planning ways to gain full global domination. Could you imagine being ruled by a flock of birds that have to drown everything before they eat it? :D

LOL I thought they rule the world already :) well they do with all the members here :)

Tommy.

,Jakub(m) and Harry (m)

The cat, Ivy.
The snake, John

my pictures HERE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users