#1 blue8920

blue8920

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 60 posts

• Subspecies:Congo

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

hbf_99998.jpg

I saw this as a supplement, have any one tried this? 

#2 Mama2ManyMouths

Mama2ManyMouths

A REGULAR KNOW-IT-SOME &:-)

• Assistant Admin
  • 16,369 posts

• Subspecies:Timneh
Contributor

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

I've never seen that brand.  Do you know what's in it?  With the name spelled like that, I assume it's something "herbal."  You have to be very cautious about anything herbal with birds.  There are any number of plants that are not safe for birds. 

Safe and toxic plants for birds

The above list is not entirely complete.  If there are ingredients in the product that you cannot find on either list, look them up in Wikipedia for more information. 

Posted Image

Miu (rehab'd & rehomed CAG), Kumiko (TAG), Skyler & Sunny - our devil-may-care parrotlets

"Be warned -- being owned by a parrot is not for the faint of heart." -- Dr. Joanna Burger, Ornithologist

#3 blue8920

blue8920

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

I've never seen that brand.  Do you know what's in it?  With the name spelled like that, I assume it's something "herbal."  You have to be very cautious about anything herbal with birds.  There are any number of plants that are not safe for birds. 

Safe and toxic plants for birds

The above list is not entirely complete.  If there are ingredients in the product that you cannot find on either list, look them up in Wikipedia for more information. 

I saw it on the site you suggested for a carry cage, it was one of the promotion stuff on first page that came up I believe. 

#4 blue8920

blue8920

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Parrotdise Perch

That's who was selling it.

#5 Mama2ManyMouths

Mama2ManyMouths

A REGULAR KNOW-IT-SOME &:-)

• Assistant Admin
  • 16,369 posts

• Subspecies:Timneh
Contributor

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

OK!  Well, this is interesting....

"Ingredients: A proprietary blend of sustainable red palm fruit oil enhanced with organic red raspberry leaves and organic red raspberry extract."

Again, red palm oil to the rescue!  :D  The only addition appears to be "red raspberry."  Hmmmmm....  I don't see how a small jar of RPO with a very few additives is worth the price.   Of course, a Grey not getting RPO will definitely show improvement if they suddenly start getting it on a regular basis. Still, you don't have to buy fancy little jars of stuff to feed your birds/Greys right.  A good diet including anti-oxidant rich foods (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.) along with RPO in or on their regular foods, plus carotene-rich, and calcium-rich veggies will do the same thing. 

The supplement industry is preying upon ignorant or lazy people who don't feed their animals (or themselves) properly.  rolleyes.gif

When I was a young mom, I stuffed my family with vitamin pills every day.  Today, they prefer to eat a better diet (not just sugar-cereals, and mac & cheese) including fresh salads, fruit, etc., rather than take pills.  :P  I still supplement myself with vitamin C, but that's because I can get rashes from too much citric fruit (juice or whole fruit).  Doctors have always told me that eating whole foods in a good balance is preferable to taking vitamins.  You get more from foods than just the vitamins that are in supplements.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now.  Carry on.... :laugh:

• Sheliak and Lady Pym like this

Posted Image

Miu (rehab'd & rehomed CAG), Kumiko (TAG), Skyler & Sunny - our devil-may-care parrotlets

"Be warned -- being owned by a parrot is not for the faint of heart." -- Dr. Joanna Burger, Ornithologist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users