Twitter Facebook

MOVING

An African Grey has moved to a new platform and is now READ-ONLY

If you are an existing member please read the following announcement which will provide you with information so that you can access the new site with your existing account!

AnAG Moving Over --> http://www.anafricangrey.ca/forum/index.php?showtopic=17835

Hotmail Account Users -- Please Read --> http://www.anafricangrey.ca/forum/index.php?showtopic=17836

------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are new to our community please register at our new site at --> http://forum.anafricangrey.ca/

Photo

Why does my African Grey purrs?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 aztec87

aztec87

Super Grey

• Members
  • 27 posts

• Subspecies:Congo

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:01 AM

Lately I be noticing that Rebecca has been purring quietly like a pigeon but she does it once in a while. The last time I heard her do it was when she wanted to get her head scratch in which I did. After a few strokes she shook her head and then tried to bite me, after that she purred again and did the same thing. Does this mean that she likes me? She usually does it when she is puffed. She loves been out of her cage but its a hassle getting her back in since she spends most of her time on top of the cage. Any recommendations on how I can get her back into her cage without aggravating her?

Attached Files

#2 Mama2ManyMouths

Mama2ManyMouths

A REGULAR KNOW-IT-SOME &:-)

• Assistant Admin
  • 16,554 posts

• Subspecies:Timneh
Contributor

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:37 AM

A purring Grey is a real treat, but it's a rare occurrence.  wub.png   Allowing you to touch her like that indicates that Rebecca trusts you.   Now, you mention that she tried to bite you, but you may be misinterpreting her beak action.  When they take a bit of a swipe at you in the midst of scritching, it's usually more that they are telling you that you aren't doing it right.  The "bite" is more like they are saying "hey!" rather than actually trying to bite you.  

Our TAG frequently tries to "correct" my scritches.  He will offer his head for a scratch, then pull away and scratch himself with his foot and offer his head again at a different angle in order to get scratched in a specific place.  If I'm not paying attention, or I don't scratch hard/gently enough, or in the wrong place, he will take a swipe at me with his beak to indicate that he's a bit annoyed about my inattention or error in where he wants it.  If I continue to do it wrong, or in the wrong place, he might give me a nip, but it's not very hard, just hard enough to get the point across.  (Stupid monkeys!  tongue.png)

We are the ones being trained.  biggrin.png

As for getting her back into her cage without upsetting her too much.  Give her a treat to hold in her beak when you want her back in her cage.  It will keep her mouth busy while you place her inside her cage. 

Other methods include: 

1. placing a special treat inside the cage for her to go in after
  2. using a handheld perch to transfer her into her cage
  3. (at bedtime) lowering the lights and shutting off the TV/computer and making the room quiet and darker to indicate that it's bedtime
  4. giving her a toy to occupy her mouth during transfer
  5. making the cage her food station and not feeding her outside the cage

ALWAYS make going back in her cage worth her while. 

• Lady Pym likes this

Posted Image

Miu (rehab'd & rehomed CAG), Kumiko (TAG), Skyler & Sunny - our devil-may-care parrotlets

"Be warned -- being owned by a parrot is not for the faint of heart." -- Dr. Joanna Burger, Ornithologist

#3 Sheliak

Sheliak

Super Grey

• Members
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

I totally agree with M2MM, Steffie does the same thing if i rub her head in the wrong way. Just telling you to get it right. Lol
CAGS -- Charlie and Steffie

Blue Front Amazon. -- Aladdin

Umbrella Cockatoo -- Jewels

#4 Lady Pym

Lady Pym

Super Grey

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Yes, all the 'goodies' are inside the cage unless they are hand fed.  I do give Lady Pym food outside of the cage in her play area, but it is nothing 'exciting' ... I give her a variety of pellets to choose from, so if she gets hungry and wants a snack, but doesn't want to go inside I at least know she's eating something healthy.

As for getting her to go inside the cage, I let her do it herself, with encouragement.  I show her a particularly yummy treat, and let her watch me put it in the cage.  Then I clap my hands, softly and say, "Let's go!" ... she usually goes inside very willingly to get her yummy treat.  ;-) 

#5 Beakertrout

Beakertrout

Super Grey

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Does she bite hard or is it just a "groom the finger"?

Beaker will take my finger in his beak, not hard and inspect it.

If you are being lunged at and bitten, then she might be trying out an attack "game".

This may sound way off base, but the next time she takes your finger in her beak, try pushing it further in.

The "pull away" causes a reaction (sometimes) that may result in a bite.

I am not an expert, I can only relate to what I do with Beaker.

Also, IMO don't force (drama/trauma) her back into the cage.

#6 aztec87

aztec87

Super Grey

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:49 AM

Lately she has been purring more often now and I keep scratching her head. She does tend to let me scratch it more often and as well she purrs more often every time I get near her. Whenever she is hungry or wants attention she now whistles loud in order to get attention. Last time I let her out of her cage and all she did is walk on top of it, whenever she is hungry she goes back inside to eat. I just hope she will let me carry her soon!

#7 Mama2ManyMouths

Mama2ManyMouths

• Assistant Admin
  • 16,554 posts

Contributor

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:53 AM

Keep doing what you are doing.  When she's ready to trust you to carry her, she will be willing.  :wink:

Posted Image

Miu (rehab'd & rehomed CAG), Kumiko (TAG), Skyler & Sunny - our devil-may-care parrotlets

"Be warned -- being owned by a parrot is not for the faint of heart." -- Dr. Joanna Burger, Ornithologist

#8 aztec87

aztec87

Super Grey

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:00 AM

I will smile.png, I am having patients with her, I daily talk to her and as well hand feed her snacks. 

#9 Mama2ManyMouths

Mama2ManyMouths

• Assistant Admin
  • 16,554 posts

Contributor

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:14 AM

You are building a solid base for trust between you.  Good work.  :)

• Lady Pym likes this

Posted Image

#10 aztec87

aztec87

Super Grey

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

Thanks, I am beginning to sweet talk to her calling here "mama" or "sweety" There are times when I offer her to come with me in which I tell her "Rebecca come to daddy" 

#11 Mama2ManyMouths

Mama2ManyMouths

• Assistant Admin
  • 16,554 posts

Contributor

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:41 AM

Greys enjoy sweet talk.  :)  It demonstrates that you have affection for her and are asking her to do something rather than attempting to command her (which never works with AGs.)  They are very good at fending off pushy people with those very strong beaks of theirs and anyone who thinks they can push a parrot around is going to be minus a few fingers in the near future.  :P  (at least they will be minus some blood and bits of skin  :laugh:)

Posted Image

#12 aztec87

aztec87

Super Grey

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

My sister has already 5 bite makes out of her, lately I just feed her off from my hand by I am wanting to get near her

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users