Twitter Facebook

MOVING

An African Grey has moved to a new platform and is now READ-ONLY

If you are an existing member please read the following announcement which will provide you with information so that you can access the new site with your existing account!

Please note: You must be logged in to read the announcements!

AnAG Moving Over --> http://www.anafricangrey.ca/forum/index.php?showtopic=17835

Hotmail Account Users -- Please Read --> http://www.anafricangrey.ca/forum/index.php?showtopic=17836

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are new to our community please register at our new site at --> http://forum.anafricangrey.ca/

Photo

Poop.... Again.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sarahallen

Sarahallen

Super Grey

• Members
  • 582 posts

• Subspecies:Congo

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

Audie has done a couple of odd poops recently. Most are fine, but one or two have been like water with the green swirly worm bit in them. Should I be concerned? He is his usual very active self, but I know they are good at hiding illness, and if I need to act I would rather do it sooner than later.

I have been increasing his fruit and veg and decreasing his seed mix, which may be a factor. He hasn't eaten any of his pellets, although one was missing, but I think the dog ate it.

Any poop experts around?

#2 Sarahallen

Sarahallen

Super Grey

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

I took photo's.

Most are like this....

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351195683.865751.jpg   76.65KB   16 downloads

A couple like this....

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351195710.438820.jpg   45.53KB   16 downloads

I'm worried because the white part (urates?) is missing.

#3 Mama2ManyMouths

Mama2ManyMouths

A REGULAR KNOW-IT-SOME &:-)

• Assistant Admin
  • 16,554 posts

• Subspecies:Timneh
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

My guys have the same types of poops. So long as he passes complete stools at some time during the day, there really is nothing to be concerned about. If the poop is a soupy mess with no separations of solids and liquids, THEN you can get concerned.

Posted Image

Miu (rehab'd & rehomed CAG), Kumiko (TAG), Skyler & Sunny - our devil-may-care parrotlets

"Be warned -- being owned by a parrot is not for the faint of heart." -- Dr. Joanna Burger, Ornithologist

#4 Mama2ManyMouths

Mama2ManyMouths

• Assistant Admin
  • 16,554 posts

Contributor

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

Audie is eating okay?

Posted Image

Miu (rehab'd & rehomed CAG), Kumiko (TAG), Skyler & Sunny - our devil-may-care parrotlets

"Be warned -- being owned by a parrot is not for the faint of heart." -- Dr. Joanna Burger, Ornithologist

#5 Sarahallen

Sarahallen

Super Grey

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Yes, he is eating fine :). He had a lot to eat at supper tonight, mashed yams and butternut squash with rpo and peas. Only two poops have been missing the white bit, with normal ones in between. I was panicking about kidney failure!!

Thankyou :). I will be able to sleep tonight now x

#6 Anni

Anni

Kez

• Members
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

Hiya

kezs poops change daily depending on her fruit/veg intake. if she had alot of fruit they are sometimes brown in colour !!!

What a lovely subject eh ?
Posted Image

#7 JBryan

JBryan

Super Grey

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

Both look pretty normal to me.
Whoever coined the term "bird brain" was probably projecting.

#8 crittle

crittle

Super Grey

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

I have recently took both our fids off from seeds they are eating pellets veggie mix and friut but mostly fresh fruits and veggies kiki love cheerios so she gets thoses as treats but i have noticed there poop has gone from light green when we first got them to dark green with white now it brown with white should i call the vet?
Love our kiki

#9 Sheliak

Sheliak

Super Grey

• Members
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

Thats more what it should be.
CAGS -- Charlie and Steffie

Blue Front Amazon. -- Aladdin

Umbrella Cockatoo -- Jewels

#10 Mama2ManyMouths

Mama2ManyMouths

• Assistant Admin
  • 16,554 posts

Contributor

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

The vet will just ask what they're eating, and then confirm it's normal.  :wink:

Posted Image

#11 crittle

crittle

Super Grey

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

Ok ty
Love our kiki

#12 KiKi_G7

KiKi_G7

Parront of The3Musketeers

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

My guys have the same types of poops. So long as he passes complete stools at some time during the day, there really is nothing to be concerned about. If the poop is a soupy mess with no separations of solids and liquids, THEN you can get concerned.

M2MM the morning routine with my greys is that theyre in the cage at 9.30 with all the lights off but the cover drawn up and then at 12 wen my dad locks up he covers them. then in the morning at 6 theyre up bcz hamzah wakes up for scool, so he greets them wile theyre groggy and half awake and they go bck to sleep after he leaves. then my dad opens the cage wen he comes down for breakfast before work at 8.30am and they do their morning flight where they swoop down into the kitchen religiously followed by huge droppings. its a huge green mess with white swirling in it. It's always been that way every morning. Not like diarrhea, just thick and pastey with a bit of liquid but all mixed. Some mornings it's a normal knotted lump without liquid, but most days its mixed.

I always thought this to be normal? They poop normally during the day depending on what they eat and their stool and liquid separates all day. It's js in the mornings that it all comes out in one. And I assumed this is that way because they either don't poop through the night from the time dad covers them till they fly down for breakfast or frm the time hamzah greets them before school.

Sometimes if we'r late openin them in the morning then they poop in the cage instead of wen they fly down and it's still the same green glob.

#13 Anni

Anni

Kez

• Members
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

Kiki....sounds ok to.me & it will.depend on what they last.ate. kez has her fresh pomegranate last thing at night before bed so usually her first poop is a soupy browny/red splat ha ha !

If her poop is very green throughout the day or when it isnt normally i cut back on her fruit & veg a bit & it.normally.goes back to being firm & normal colouring :)

#14 KiKi_G7

KiKi_G7

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

They have supper at around 7 wich is their last meal unless they decide to snack on palm fruit nuts wile I'm covering their cage. Their supper varies daily:

scrambled eggs with broccoli and cauliflower and beet greens mashed into it

whole wheat muffins with peas and coconut milk

wild rice/jasmine infused rice with dried tomatoe or split peas or assortment of squash pieces and carrot cubes

Steamed Sweet potato and butternut/pumpkin cubes

Hawaiian stir fried vegetables

Tinkerbells Mash

Pasta/noodles (boiled with cut chillies for spice) and cheese

That's their weekly supper routine. Breakfast is usually watever my dads having (cereal, oats, banana, melon, yoghurt) and afternoon they get an assortment of fruit

Jeez I just realized how spoiled they are after re/reading ths post for typos lol ((o_O))

#15 Anni

Anni

Kez

• Members
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:51 AM

Ha ha ha wow.....they eat better than me & Jack !!!!! :)
  • KiKi_G7 likes this

#16 Mama2ManyMouths

Mama2ManyMouths

• Assistant Admin
  • 16,554 posts

Contributor

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

It sounds to be like they are pooping normally.  Miu's morning poop is a big 'log' of green and white with little urine.  The intestines absorb most of the water overnight which leaves primarily solids for morning evacuation.  tongue.png  During the day, his poops are smaller and more frequent and the amount of urine is tied to how much water he drinks and the moistness of his food.  The colour of the fecal matter (solids) is directly tied to the foods eaten.  They can range from brown to green to purple depending on what was eaten a few hours before.  Ah, the joys of parronthood.  lol.gif

CAG poop

Posted Image

#17 Anni

Anni

Kez

• Members
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hee hee....only us parronts could disect parrot poo with each other :)

#18 KiKi_G7

KiKi_G7

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hahahahaha oh the gory details lol lol!

Thanks u guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users