47 replies to this topic

#1 OwnedByAGrey

OwnedByAGrey

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 1,175 posts

• Subspecies:Congo

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

Gertie (my Spectacled Amazon) went on a walk-about this morning, and before I could get her, she went climbing up the side of Moses' cage. I keep Moses in a separate room so that no one's tempted to climb, but Gert is Gert.

He bit one of her toes. :(

We washed her foot, irrigated the toe with Betadine, and Daddy just now put her upstairs for a bit in her sleep cage, covered. My poor Gertie-Girl!

I know that alot of you have had this happen. Any suggestions? I know she's in pain, and I'm afraid she's going to chew at that toe.

The vet more than likely will say, "Yep! It's a bitten toe! Nothing we can do."

I'm kind of beside myself, here.
CHEAT SHEET!

Charlie - Male CAG, DOH 2/14/08
Moses - Male CAG, YOH 1999
Poe - Female Umbrella Cockatoo, DOH 6/25/2006
Gertie - Female Spectacled Amazon (White-Fronted Amazon)
Pickle - Male Half-Moon Conure
Lily - Female Peach-Faced Lovebird
Chumley (aka "MURP!") - Male Senegal

#2 Titch

Titch

Tiddley Pop De Doo

• Adv Member
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

aww :(

can you not put something round it to stop her nibbling at it?

I may not have the key to success, but I know how to pick the lock on the door.

#3 Mama2ManyMouths

Mama2ManyMouths

A REGULAR KNOW-IT-SOME &:-)

• Assistant Admin
  • 16,399 posts

• Subspecies:Timneh
Contributor

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:53 PM

Very sorry to hear that Gertie's been bitten. Unfortunately they will pick at things that bother them. Maybe the vet could collar her to prevent further damage? :unsure:

I think this variety of collar is the least intrusive of those available: http://www.aviancollar.com/

Posted Image

Miu (rehab'd & rehomed CAG), Kumiko (TAG), Skyler & Sunny - our devil-may-care parrotlets

"Be warned -- being owned by a parrot is not for the faint of heart." -- Dr. Joanna Burger, Ornithologist

#4 OwnedByAGrey

OwnedByAGrey

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

Thanks, Titch and M2MM. Gertie did nibble at first, but is now leaving it alone. Not too much swelling, and she'll put weight on it, and was climbing on the bars of her cage earlier.

The bite is on the right foot. If you look at her from the back, it's the right backward toe, from the pad of the foot to the first knuckle. All bleeding has stopped; now it's just looking weepy and terrible, as such wounds do. It's slightly swollen and very hot, but that's not unexpected.

I've used very cold water from the kitchen sprayer to gently wash away anything extraneous, and to take the temperature of the foot down - maybe that will help the swelling. It's a bad bite, but not one that's seeming to have caused anything to be broken. I know it hurts her like the devil.

I've got Terramycin ointment, so I'll be using that on the wound.

*sigh* my poor baby gert :(
CHEAT SHEET!

#5 Brad

Brad

Brad, the proud parront

• Forum Managers
  • 2,484 posts

• Subspecies:Congo & Timneh

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

oh no! not baby gertie! :( i hope she will heal soon!

Posted Image

#6 OwnedByAGrey

OwnedByAGrey

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:43 AM

Thank you, Brad. By the end of the evening, she was not wanting to put weight on the foot, and she can't hold anything in it. She's right-handed, so I gave her small seeds in a shallow bowl so she can root through those. She also got some warm cereal with palm oil and a touch of peanut butter.

She is a sad case, for sure. :(

Hopefully, a good night's sleep will help her, but I'm not looking forward to seeing that foot in the morning. It was still oozing a bit, but there's no frank bleeding going on. A couple more nips at it, but she's not actively chewing or gnawing at it. It's more a reaction to the pain and frustration on her part, I think. After it happened, and for a couple of hours afterward, she was using the foot to hold food and to climb a little bit, so she can flex it; the swelling is preventing that, now.

The vet said that unless the toe is hanging like it is broken, there is nothing she can really do. She didn't want me to bandage it right now because of the swelling, and said to keep it clean as possible, to expect alot of swelling, and if the foot is not looking better by Monday, to call and come in.

Does that sound right to you guys? I'm upset, so of course I want immediate healing and for her not to die from this. Wait until Monday??? Should I do that? CAN I do that?

I feel so guilty because I couldn't catch her in time. She had been chomping at the bit to go see Moses all morning. I moved the stand so she couldn't see him -- twice! -- and she's smart enough to know that the sound of wings tips off Momma, so she climbed down to the floor and skipped ahead of me, every step I took.

She's so gregarious she can't understand why some of the other birds don't want her to visit. I should have put her in Poe's cage until her ardor cooled off. Shoulda, coulda, woulda ...

:cry: It's all my fault.
CHEAT SHEET!

#7 Brad

Brad

Brad, the proud parront

• Forum Managers
  • 2,484 posts

• Subspecies:Congo & Timneh

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:03 AM

obag, its not your fault! things like this just happen sometime, we just got to learn from it. as for if you should wait, i would say a vet visit would not hurt. ((((((((((obag))))))))))

Posted Image

#8 Mama2ManyMouths

Mama2ManyMouths

• Assistant Admin
  • 16,399 posts

Contributor

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:25 AM

Shoulda, coulda, woulda ...

:cry: It's all my fault.

Hindsight is always 20/20, so don't blame yourself. You got there as quick as you could. She's just a little wise-acre and found a way to trick you, and things didn't work out the way she expected. :hurt:

I think that all anyone can do at this point is to keep her perches super-clean and use an antibiotic ointment on her foot as often as needed (at least twice daily.) Other than that, time, rest and a little patience are all that's needed. (Keep her confined and quiet, away from the other birds, if possible.) Pain will eventually be replaced with itch (from healing), so keep an eye on her so make sure she doesn't reinjure herself - but this won't start to be an issue for a few days.

Posted Image

Miu (rehab'd & rehomed CAG), Kumiko (TAG), Skyler & Sunny - our devil-may-care parrotlets

"Be warned -- being owned by a parrot is not for the faint of heart." -- Dr. Joanna Burger, Ornithologist

#9 OwnedByAGrey

OwnedByAGrey

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:48 AM

Quick update before Kate's graduation:

Gert's foot looked better than I thought it would this morning. It's very sore, it's very swollen, but she is putting very light weight on it - good sign. I brought her downstairs to the playstand because she's nosey, and she pitched a FIT when I didn't take her along with Charlie.

Her eating is a bit off, but that should pick up. I lured her to the food dish with her new favorite: unsalted french fries. Anything she can mash with her beak and not hold is best. She's just tired and recovering. I know her foot is really "owie" :( No chewing, thank God.

I took pictures of the damage, but don't have time to post them right now.

Big hugs to everybody. Thanks so much for hanging with me. :wub:
CHEAT SHEET!

#10 tommybar

tommybar

tommybar

• Adv Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:41 AM

Oh Poor Gertie....

I am glad she is feeling a bit better today. I have this fear with Katkas cage I have the top covered when the gang are out but I am always fearful they will go climing. Well Betty is the only one who goes there.

How is our little Gert now?

I hope Kate's graduation went well :)

Tommy.

CAGs, Oscar(m), Rosaka(f), Betty(f), Freddy(f) (as in pic)

,Jakub(m) and Harry (m)

B and G Macaw, Katka. Passed away 9/12/09 RIP my baby.

B and G Macaw Victor/Victoria

Masked Lovebirds, TT, Flo, George, Grace and Max and many more
The dogs, Mabel, Lily, Phil and Elsa.

David, Passed away on the 25th Oct 2010 RIP my old boy

The Gottingen pig, Petunia
The cat, Ivy.
The snake, John

my pictures HERE

#11 OwnedByAGrey

OwnedByAGrey

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:52 AM

{{{{Tommy!}}}}

Gert's doing a little better today, I think. She's limping, but limping faster (does that make sense?). I have photos of her foot, but will post it in another reply so people have a chance not to look if such things bother them.

Kate's grauation went well, thank you! I also have photos of that, and I'll put those in the ChitChat. :)
CHEAT SHEET!

#12 LadyBird

LadyBird

LadyBird

• Forum Managers
  • 841 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

{{{{{{{{Gertie}}}}}}} Poor girl.
I hope she's better today. I am so nervous about cage walkers that I space them far enough that no one can visit, they do talk back and forth and interact, just not face to face. But.. an Amazon is not falling for that. *Where there's a will.. there's a way!!* My Lila will actually fly across the room and walk down the hallway to find me.. its a good thing my dogs and cats are nice.

{{{{OBAG}}}} I know you are so upset, but it will be okay. :wink: ~darn zons!!!~

#13 OwnedByAGrey

OwnedByAGrey

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:28 AM

{{{{LadyB}}}}] Thank you. I gave Gert's foot another good wash tonight, and then took some pictures.

I will warn everyone up front: the pictures are of a rather nasty bite by a Grey to the foot of a much smaller bird, a Spectacled Amazon. If you are easily upset by pictures of bruising and/or wounds, you may not wish to view them. Keep in mind that she has just been sprayed, and some of the feathers on the leg are red; it is not blood nor a consequence of the bite past the foot and ankle.

Posted Image

This is the side of Gert's right foot. You can see the bruising up to and including her ankle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The top of her foot.

The swelling is down considerably today. I think this is due to my rinsing her foot twice a day with very cold water. There is a wound in the back that you can't fully see, and I have been keeping that slathered with antibiotic ointment (Terramycin). She is eating a little bit better, and was a bit more vocal today. She's also putting more weight on the leg, so I'm encouraged by that. She's a lucky 'Zon. I'm convinced that the bars of the cage, and the way they prevented Moses from fully biting down, saved that leg. Otherwise, I'd have a dead Gertie, or one that lost the foot at the ankle.

Pretty bad bite, huh? :ouch:
CHEAT SHEET!

#14 newdad

newdad

Plain old Nobody

• Forum Managers
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:36 AM

OUCH!!! That looks painful, poor gertie. However it seems to be healing so you're doing something right LOL.
These things happen even though we try hard to prevent it, I'm always afraid of it happening here. Maximus would like to be friends with Casper (senegal) but Casper will have non of it, Maximus insists on visiting Casper's cage (they have seperate time outs) so I cover the top of the cage, but Maximus will drag the cover off LOL. I cover Maximus's cage when Casper is out but Casper will land on the side of the cage to hassle Maximus. Sooner or later I fear I will be dealing with a similar incident.
Your fids are lucky, they have a good mama who knew what to do.
Posted Image

#15 LadyBird

LadyBird

LadyBird

• Forum Managers
  • 841 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

**sends kisses for Gertie's foot**
I honestly thought it would look worse, not that it isn't bad enough.. but its healing nicely. I bet Gert isn't thrilled about you rinsing her foot, so that's gotta be quite an adventure. Lila would be making all sorts of fuss. It's always worse when there is nothing to do but wait. You have great instinct, that goes a long way. (((((OBAG))))) We're sending lots of healing thoughts to your little girl.

#16 TaraRose

TaraRose

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

Oh my! Poor kid! Just wanted to chime in and add that there are lots of foods and things that have natural antibiotic and anti inflammatory properties. I know apple cider vineager is one, and I think peppermint also but dont remember for sure. Maybe google it and see what you find.

Hope Gertie is feeling better soon! I have had a bite like that and sympathise!!
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that stood it's ground

Tara and...
Cagney - congo african grey
DayDay, Nala, Marley, Pepper and Little - kitties
Kiwi - quaker
Wilbur - guinea pig

#17 Titch

Titch

Tiddley Pop De Doo

• Adv Member
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:16 PM

Oh my! Poor kid! Just wanted to chime in and add that there are lots of foods and things that have natural antibiotic and anti inflammatory properties. I know apple cider vineager is one, and I think peppermint also but dont remember for sure. Maybe google it and see what you find.

Hope Gertie is feeling better soon! I have had a bite like that and sympathise!!

Wheatgrass is supposed to have some good properties to it.. helps the immune system and such.

I may not have the key to success, but I know how to pick the lock on the door.

#18 Mama2ManyMouths

Mama2ManyMouths

• Assistant Admin
  • 16,399 posts

Contributor

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

Poor Gertie! :shocked: Her footie looks sooo sore. OOOXXX for Gertie. :unsure:

Posted Image

#19 OwnedByAGrey

OwnedByAGrey

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

Well, well, well. I uncovered Gert this morning to find her beak covered with blood, and the perch covered with blood. As M2MM predicted, Miss Gertie went after the back of her foot because it had started itching.

In a panic, I called our avian vet.

I was told not to panic, give Gert a shower, assess if she actually removed flesh, or if she just removed the scab, and then call back.

Luckily, she had just removed the scab, and the bleeding stopped almost immediately.

I called back and spoke to the vet, who felt that Gertie's personality wouldn't allow a successful use of a collar or a foot wrap; she believes (and I agree) that a collar would put Gert off her feed, and that a wrap might make her actually chew her foot, leg, or, at the very least, a toe to the point of partial amputation.

So, she suggested Pulvex, which is an antisceptic veterinary ointment that helps stop itching and has the wonderful side-effect of tasting really, really, really bad.

We're giving this kid every chance to heal on her own and not be a doo-doo head. Gert knows Momma is NOT happy, that's for sure. She's been sulking and looking contrite all morning.

BAD GERTIE! :glare:
CHEAT SHEET!

#20 OwnedByAGrey

OwnedByAGrey

Super Grey

• Adv Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:04 PM

I've decided to take Gert in to the avian vet. Now that the foot is open again, it just makes me too nervous to continue a "wait and watch" approach, especially since the area is at the junction of the back toes at the pad of the foot. I am not looking forward to this because I know she's going to scream; Gert is not a graceful patient. And, she's so little ....

Oh, ugh.

The appointment is at 5 PM (US Eastern). I'll update afterward.
CHEAT SHEET!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users